Best SF Bay Area
Events, Weekends & Festivals 2017
We limit our picks to only the best events in the SF Bay area in 2016, personally handpicked for local insiders to enjoy. Many are unique world-class affairs. A few are just a lot of fun. The events below are organized by month & regularly updated including local Pacific Coast time. Also see recently past events.
MARCH 2017 — SF Bay Area Events & Weekends
Special Things To Do Outdoors this March The blooming spring flora are outstanding this time of year. There’s less fog along the coast and it’s cooler inland. Here are some good things to check out in March.
- Old St Hillarys Open Space Preserve in Tiburon has some of the very best views in the SF Bay area. Here are some pictures we took on March 1st last year.
- Dutch Windmill & Tulip Gardens in Golden Gate Park … March 15th-April 15th is the best time of year to tiptoe through the tulips, icelandic poppies and primroses. Cherry blossoms at the Japanese Tea garden are in full bloom during the same period.
- It’s less foggy along the Half Moon Bay coastline making this is a great time to check out the many HMB coastal trails. For example, try the Mori Ridge Trail starting at the Shelldance Orchid Nursery in Pacifica. Or, Devils Slide Trail or Montara Mountain Trail a few miles south.
- It’s cooler inland this time of year making it a good time to check out Coyote Hills Park, the Alameda Creek Trails and old town Niles in Fremont. Or, visit the Hollister area.
March Madness College basketball playoffs on TV
Elite 8: Saturday-Sunday 3/25/17-3/26/17, 1st game Sat 3:00 pm, 1st game Sun 5:30 pm
Final 4: Saturday 4/1/17, 3 pm & 5:30 pm
National Championship: Monday 4/3/17, 6 pm
See TV schedule (Eastern time) & brackets as they become available.
Golden State Warriors Basketball
Sunday 3/26/17 5 pm, Tuesday 3/28/17 5 pm, Wednesday 3/29/17 6:30 pm (ESPN), Friday 3/31/17 7:30 pm (ESPN).
The Warriors are currently having a tough time, due to the injury to Kevin Durant, but even so the current basketball team is one of the best in the history of the game; they are #1 in every current NBA category except for rebounding #7. See the full Warriors schedule. Also note that the Warriors are on a new radio station this year, 95.7 FM in SF and 93.5 FM in San Jose.
NEW Presidio Visitor Center, Presidio, SF
Open 7 days/week, 10 am-5 pm
The new $5 million dollar Presidio Visitor Center opens 2/25/17 … and will be open 7 days/week from 10 am-5 pm. It’s a great place to learn about the many attractions & trails in this great park. By the way, the weekly Sunday Picnic at the Presidio, on the main parade ground adjacent the Visitor Center, starts up again on 3/19/17.
- Cesar Chavez Day, Friday 3/31/17 (state holiday)
- More Holidays
Breeding Elephant Seal Tour, Ano Nuevo State Park, 27 miles south of Half Moon Bay
12/15/14 – 3/31/15, $7 Admission
See 2-1/2 ton, 16 foot long elephant seal bulls skirmish for dominance during breeding season when thousands of seals and sea lions gather for a 3-month orgy of fighting, mating, and birthing. The only way to see this unique natural phenomenon is via naturalist-led tour which takes about 2.5 hours and is 3 miles long.
The season is busiest between January 15th & February 15th. Tour tickets sell out early so advance reservations are definitely recommended. The season is busiest between January 15th & February 15th. See more details.
Gray Whale Migration Season, Numerous locations along the Pacific coast
12/20/16 – 5/31/17, Paid boat tours or Free from shore
Watch some 20,000 gray whales migrating from the Arctic to Baja, Mexico. Tour boats leave San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, Moss Landing and Monterey during this season. Or, watch them from on shore. See more details.
Fun & Free WEEKLY Events & Activities
Here are some good things to do that happen regularly every week in March.
- Off The Grid at Fort Mason Center – Friday Nights through October, This is the largest food truck event in the U.S. with over 30 independent food vendors, music and considerable action. See details.
- Swing Dancing in the Park – Sundays, 11 am-2 pm. Free dancing & beginners lesson in Golden Gate Park. (year round)
- Bicycle Sundays – Sundays. Main roads are closed to cars on Sundays at both Golden Gate Park and Canada Road (off Hwys 280 & 92, Belmont) for bicyclists & skaters of all levels to enjoy (open year round subject to weather).
Month of March – Other
- Sports All month, many Bay Area locations or on TV, Admission.
- Golden State Warriors: See full schedule (or national TV NBA schedule). Also note that the Warriors are on a new radio station this year, 95.7 FM in SF plus 93.5 FM in San Jose.
- San Francisco Giants: See spring training schedule.
- Pro Hockey: San Jose Sharks: See schedule.
- College Sports of all types are in full swing as usual. See Stanford, Cal Berkeley, San Jose State and San Mateo Jr. College event schedules.
- FREE Monthly Museum Days
Typically the first Tue/Wed/Thu, every month at many Bay Area locations
Many San Francisco Bay Area museums have free admission days once a month. See dates & links. Often these events are quite crowded but if you arrive early enough this is a way to see the best museums for free.
As a final tip, we have noticed that new events are often more unique and pleasant before most of the “world” learns about them. Then they sometimes become more crowded, commercial, and less free wheeling. Also, go early in the day. So don’t wait if you see something you may like. If you have never lived in San Francisco you may not realize that it is definitely a public party town without peer! The inhabitants really do spend a lot of effort throwing outstanding, unique, and fun events. Enjoy these special things to do … only in San Francisco!