Crystal Springs Shopping Center,
San Mateo, CA
De Anza Blvd & Polhemus Rd off Hwys 92 & 280
Crystal Springs Village Shopping Center is a very nice neighborhood center with many small but excellent independent businesses. It is one of the few commercial areas that are easy to get to from Highway 280 or from Highway 92.
Below is a list of the best businesses around the center. See our Crystal Springs Shopping Center Map showing their locations. Also see our San Mateo County map for ideas on other nearby things to do.
Food & Drink
- Diandas Italian American Bakery: An old-time Italian bakery from San Francisco. Coffee comes in real porcelain cups and they are well known for their cakes.
- The Field Club: Restaurant/sports bar. Small but tasty menu and a full bar.
- Starbucks: A busy Starbucks with free wi-fi.
- Rainbow Pizza: Good Greek pizza which is a nice variation from typical pizza options.
- Wakuriya: High-end Japanese sitdown dinner restaurant. To get in it is smart to make your reservations a month in advance.
- Neal’s Coffee Shop: Old-fashioned eating place popular with Seniors. Food is just OK but the service is very pleasant.
- Lily’s Creperie: This excellent little cafe specializes in gourmet crepes and gelato. Very popular for a tasty snack or light meal.
- Crystal Springs 76: Their mechanics, available during the day, have an excellent reputation in the neighborhood.
- Chevron: A newer station with no mechanics, sometimes slighty cheaper gas, and an automatic car wash.
- Safeway: A large modernized Safeway open 24 hrs/day
- Crystal Springs Produce: One of the top produce stores in the entire Peninsula. Better than most farmers markets.
- Crystal Cleaning Center: High prices but the place to go for valuable garments. They have won several national awards. There are two more dry cleaners, just across Polhemus Rd, which are much less expensive.
- Crystal Springs Fish & Poultry: A good quality old world style meat market.
- U.S. Post Office Sub-Station: Behind the shopping center across from the Vets.
- Crystal Springs Veterinary: Nice people but expensive … but aren’t all vets. We like Laurelwood Veterinary Clinic in Laurelwood Shopping Center, 1334 Hillsdale Blvd, San Mateo.
Nearby Points of Interest
- College of San Mateo: This Jr college is quite impressive. Don’t miss the great view from their football field. They also have an excellent Farmers Market here every Saturday morning.
- The Highlands: A neighborhood of over 700 “modernistic” homes inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright and built by Joseph Eichler in the 1950s. July 4th they always have festivities include a parade that started in 1960.
- Crystal Springs UMC: Nice little Methodist church with a variety of activities including meditation classes.
- Sawyer Camp Trail: The most popular hiking & biking trail in San Mateo County.
- Bicycle Sundays: A popular event on nearby Canada Road.
- Sugarloaf Mountain: Nature Preserve A nice park and mountain to hike on.