SF Bay Model Visitor Center
The San Francisco Bay Model is truly an engineer’s & kid’s delight. It is both educational and interesting! Many scientific groups also visit. Furthermore, it is FREE!.
This giant 1.5 acre working model of the entire San Francisco Bay was developed in 1957 by the Army Corps of Engineers. Its purpose was to study human effects on the SF Bay and to help keep the Bay navigable for shipping.
Inside the same building also check out the small historical Marinship Shipyards Museum. During World War II this now quiet area was a very different place filled with 75,000 workers sending off a new ship to the war every 13 days.
Phone: (415) 332-3871
Link: For hours and more information see SF Bay Model
- Sausalito Things To Do – read the sections about Marinship and about houseboats
- Sausalito map – Show precise locations of various things to do
- Marinship Shipyards – Info on the Marinship shipyards where the Bay Model is located
- Le Garage – A French bistro on the pier within short walking distance
- Back from SF Bay Model to Best Sausalito Things To Do
- Top of page and Home